Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wordfull Wednesday


Today over at Chocolate on my Cranium's site; she is asking us:

What's In Your Name?

Well, I shall start with my birth name. I was born Diana Lorena Rodriguez. My paternal grandmother's name was Ofelia and my 'Papi' (dad) ADORED his mother so he wanted to name his second (and last) daughter Ofelia! My mom said no way. Not sure why. She liked Diana and so did he, so that is what I was named. Like Cocoa's complaint; I also had to correct people all my life on how to pronounce it. It is two syllables not three. Most American's or English speakers say it in three but I would rather have that than the English pronunciation! It is: dee-ah--nahh, not DIANE, DEANNE, DEANA, DIANA (like the English Princess). Ok. Lorena was a famous spanish language soap star that my mom loved. heehee...

Then, I changed my name to Alia when I met my husband and decided to convert to Islam. His entire immediate family (seven siblings including himself) each made a suggestion and he faxed it to me. He was here in Oman and I was still in St. Louis, MO. It was in his handwriting and he did not tell me who (it didn't matter as I had no idea who they were as far as personalities; but knew of them, of course) suggested what. There was a definition attached and for me more than any religious name or special meaning; I was looking for something that my poor parents could pronounce and that my friends could say easily!! This was in Arabic after all! I wanted something simple and I wanted to be first at something for once and therefore chose Alia. It means, 'exaulted, elevated, highest social standing'. Hmmm....I should have chosen 'Abla' as that means 'full figured'! heehee!!

So that is my story!! Thanks for stopping by...


6 comments:

Montserrat said...

I think Alia is beautiful!

This Girl loves to Talk said...

I love Alia.... and I had to laugh as in australia we pronounce diana in 3 sylables... like DIE-AN-NA

Aimee said...

What neat stories, for both of your names. Alia is beautiful! I can easily see why you chose it.

Godlonton Family Adventures said...

I like the name...especially the meaning!

kjha said...

How interesting. I wonder what I would choose, if presented that opportunity.

JRoberts said...

cool story! I love to read others traditions.